Thursday, May 21, 2009

DWT


Before Kenzie had her license, if she had a date to go to the movies , dad or I would drop her off and pick her up. At the time it could be somewhat of an inconvenience but hey, you go with the flow. Well, this past Saturday she went out on her first "car" date. The guy she went out with has been a "friend" of hers for about a year now. We met him and his family last year at a tennis tournament. He and Kenzie have played together a few times and text (the new way of communicating) each other all the time. He lives on the opposite side of the county (about 40 minutes from our house) so they hardly ever see each other. Well as I was saying, this past Saturday, these two finally hooked up to go out (only as "friends"). He drove clear out to our house to pick her up and then the movie theater they were going to was way across town (about 30 minutes away). She was content to just meet him there (which her father preferred) but her friend would hear nothing of it. He gets to the house, picks her up and off they go. Dad and I wait up for her to get home so we could grill her on the evening. Dad starts asking 50 questions about the movie (Star Trek) -OMG YOU'RE KIDDING ME- I could've cared less about the movie I wanted the good stuff, was there any hand-holding, did he put his arm around you, did he pay your way in, how was his driving, did he text while he drove???? Yea, these were the real questions. No one cared about the stupid movie (which accoridng to Kenzie was a bomb). Well, he was a perfect gentlemen, however, he did text while he was driving. THAT'S A BIG NO-NO IN MY BOOK especially when my daughter is in the car with him. Kenzie has been "threatened" that if caught even talking on her cell while driving - well let's just say, the car will be a rust bucket before she'll drive again. I know she would never get into a car with someone who had been drinking but how do we protect them from DWT (driving while texting). It's not illegal (not here anyway) but yet can be just as dangerous. This has really scared me and I don't quite know how to deal with this one. Young drivers are not experienced enough to be texting while driving. Heck, I've been driving for over 30 years and don't like to talk on the phone while I'm behind the wheel let alone try to text someone. We need to nip this in the bud!!

6 comments:

Pat Jenkins said...

i can forsee a future where cell phones become illegal in vehicles! is it neccessary for some, yes!! for all i don't know! but then again i fool with the radio too much to! i may be as guilty as the next "texter"!... p.s. if these dates keep up i may be able to marry off my daughter after all!!!... he he...

Bryan said...

I see texting while driving a very dangerous practice also. I was reading at www.nationwidesmartride.com and it said, "During the teen years, the brain's self-control center is not yet fully developed."

You might consider having your husband sit down with the boy and set some driving ground rules when your daughter is in the car.

I noticed something else you said about your daughter's friend. "She was content to just meet him there (which her father preferred) but her friend would hear nothing of it."

I had a self-defense school for many years (still do a little teaching) and one thing we taught as a warning sign was when someone doesn't take no for an answer.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I have huge issues with this...it is one of the arguments the coach and I have too. I have to nag him to NOT text while driving...it is so dangerous.
I would sit the guy down and go over the driving rules. (and who is he texting when he has a cute girl sitting NEXT to him???)
Or, if it makes YOU feel safer, she should drive!!
Good luck with this...
Suz

Grandma J said...

As the mother of three adult daughters and one adult son, a guy who is only a "friend" doesn't drive 40 miles to pick you up!

Any use of a cell phone while driving is illegal in some states. I think all cars should have blue tooth technology like SYNC. That's one law I would favor.

Karen said...

Just to ease a few of your minds, he really is a good friend of hers. Pat and I know him very well and there are still such things as a "good guy". In the future I doubt very seriously if he comes all the way out to our house again, he himself commented on how far out we were. I'm sure they'll be meeting half way from now on (if there is a - now on). Thanks for your concern but we wouldn't let her go with just anyone, we love her too much for that. Also, the "talk" will have to come if he wishes to taxi my daughter around. Truth be told, Kenzie would rather drive everywhere herself. She hasn't broken in that new license yet. LOL

Jen said...

I'm with you-no texting while driving! EVER!!!
I hate talking on the phone while driving too-I don't answer it unless it is hubby or son-then I tell them I am driving...