Thursday, April 23, 2009

Wilbur Doodle - Part 2


If you'll recall, we ended yesterday with my father thinking he was going to take Wilbur to the butcher shop. Well, after I had found out what the plans were for my little Wilbur Doodle, I had a MAJOR fit. HOW DARE HE! I have loved this little bovine, nurtured him, bonded with him, told him my deepest darkest secrets. This was my pet and he had wrapped himself around a big part of my heart. They couldn’t do this to me or to him, I would not allow it!!!

Now I usually got my way when it came to my dad. I was most definitely a daddy’s girl and don’t think I didn’t pull out every trick in the book. I had to save Wilbur no matter what. So, after many, many nights of crying myself to sleep (loud enough that dad could hear me), he agreed to at least talk about it. After a lot of pouting, sobbing and just plain anger, he agreed that he would sell Wilbur (keeping him was just not an option as per the agreement with his friend), use the money he got from him and then go to the butcher shop and buy a ½ cow already butchered. HOOORAY! I had won! I had saved Wilbur Doodle’s life and it felt sooo goooood.

I know what you’re thinking - Dad didn’t really sell that cow, he just told me that and actually took him to the butcher. WRONG-O BABY! I made him take me to the auction house and watched my little buddy be sold. I was heart-broken and shed many a tear but I knew that the farmer who had just purchased my Wilbur, had a huge farm with lots of girlie cows and Wilbur would be in 7th heaven. It had to be that way, RIGHT! Wilbur was a pet, he would not make a good sirloin or T-bone. He just didn’t have it in him. He was the best darn cow around.


That my friends is where this story ends. It took me a while to not think of Wilbur everytime we had steak or hamburger, but I did rest in the fact that I knew it wasn't him. I cannot fathom raising something, only to turn around and eat it. It’s not in me. I know people do it all the time but not this girl. Once I’ve looked into those little eyes, I’m hooked! So no, a pioneer woman I would never make. I've told Pat many a time that if we had to raise our own meat we'd both become vegetarians and luckily, he agrees with me!

8 comments:

Pat Jenkins said...

i am happy to see wilbur "survived", too bad we can't say the same about the other cow you ate with wilbur's money!... p.s. i think i could eat something i raised, i just don't think i could KILL IT!!

Grandma J said...

That story almost makes me want to become a vegetarian...almost. Wilbur is a cute cow, and I'm glad your dad loved you so much to make that sacrifice.

74WIXYgrad said...

I'm sure that you've been taking a lot of prime ribbing over this. But I wouldn't get into a stew over this. I'm also sure that you could visit the Porter house and chew the fat or maybe go shopping in the New York strip. I have no beef with your story.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I like to think that Wilbur lived out his life on a nice farm with lots of hot cows. Perhaps a dairy farm....he just watched the girl utters all day long....:)

Lutra said...

beautiful story!

My uncle just killed and served for dinner my little cousin's duck without telling her that she has eating it...

You did well!

namaste said...

glad wilbur made it.

i guess raising them and eating them is not so easy. that could apply to children too!

;)

Karen said...

All your comments have been great. Thanks so much to you all for taking the time to come and even bother to read my stuff. You are all very much appreciated.

Jen said...

Hooray for you! It is much easier to buy it in a package at the grocery, or have a hunter in the family. :)