Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Where's The Floor!


In recalling my teen years at home, I can remember my room literally having paths made between clothes to get to my bed or dresser. My mother would often say "how can you come out of that mess of a bedroom looking like a million bucks". I was allowed to keep my room "untidy" for 6 days of the week, but on the 7th (always Saturday morning) - IT WAS CLEANING TIME! It used to take me hours to clean up all those clothes (we weren't allowed to have food or drinks in there). Then, the next morning, AHHHH, all was well again! It took seconds to make it HOME again. Well, what goes around, comes around. My husband and I both like to keep our home orderly and clean, not immaculate or freakishly clean, but nice and tidy. In fact, my husband can NAG with the best of them when things aren't put away (his mother was a "clean freak" so he was never allowed to make his bedroom his own). Well, like mother like daughter! Kenzie Rae loves for her room to be a total disaster (I really think it's worse than mine ever was) she claims it makes her feel "comfy", and this drives her father up the wall. So, after many discussions, both civilized and uncivilized, we've agreed to allow her to have "her space" but once a week, that room has to be cleaned "our way" and if her clothes can't find the clothes hamper, that's her problem. Unfortunately her mess tends to overflow into the rest of the house and then dad goes into NAG mode once again. That girl definitely knows how to push his buttons. Hopefully allowing her to have her space now will lead her to being a little neater when she acquires a home of her own. We'll keep our fingers crossed, after all, it worked for me!

8 comments:

Pat Jenkins said...

hurricane kenzie has just blown thru!!! leaving another mess in her wake....

namaste said...

both our girls were allowed to keep their room however they wanted to. it looked like a tornado went thru most of the time. they kept their door closed and the rest of the house looked tidy. but every couple of weeks the mess would bother them and they would go into clean mode. as they got old clean mode became more frequent.

i'm with you, karen. let them have their space. we rub off on them whether they like it or not.

Jen said...

I just don't understand the point of having your room like this-fortunately I never had that argument with my son. Now his bathroom--that's another story!!

Karen said...

Maria, I don't think it would ever bother Kenzie to be able to leave her room like that. That girl is just a slob. But God forbid one hair be out of place when she leaves this house in the morning for school. LOL

Jen, we have to get on Kenzie as well with the bathroom, however, it's not as bad. She just refuses to hang her towels up correctly so they will dry. You know what I mean???

Busy Bee Suz said...

HA, you must have been looking into my drafts file...I have one just like this, with pictures too.
My girls are such slobs, it makes me nuts. I cringe when I walk into their room and bathroom....it does make me feel a bit better knowing I am not alone in this. ;0

Grandma J said...

I used to have a problem finding leftover food and containers in their rooms. That's the stuff that freaked me out. They do grow up and turn into "us".

Cassie said...

I hope Kenzie "sees the light"(of her floor!) before she leaves home! My d-i-l drove my poor son nuts their first few years of marriage because beneath her manicured facade lived a total slob.I remember (b4 they had kids)all the passenger seats in her VW bug filled to the ceiling with dirty laundry. Ugh! He just finally resigned himself to it.The funny thing is that both of the kids rooms are always neat as a pin!
My only pile as a teenager was clean socks.It was my job to fold the clean socks and I would put them on the bottom of my bed and wait 'til someone complained that they needed socks b4 I'd fold them & put them away. Ha! My inner slob does exist.

bluepitbull said...

LOL,

Try a 14 year old boy...tongs and a mask and gloves for that.