Wednesday, April 22, 2009

What Is A Pet?

In growing up, we lived on the edge of the city limits. A field backed up against the rear of our property. My parents allowed us to have pets of all shapes and sizes. My brother had ferrets, skunks and raccoons. You name it, and at some point in time, we had it. Well, Dad thought it would be a good idea to raise our own chickens. He built them a nice little house with chicken fence all around it (my dad could never sit still so he was always building something). Well we got the little chickens and soon they grew into big chickens. Dad now wanted to start slaughtering the chickens and have them for dinner….. WHAT!!! He proceeded to do what people do when they dress a chicken (it’s too disgusting to tell). The next thing I knew, that poor chicken was now fried up and laying in the middle of our kitchen table for dinner. OMG- NO WAY JOSE! I was not about to eat one of our pets (at least that’s what I considered them to be). After dad grew tired of the chickens (thankfully it didn't take long) he had another brillant idea. He had some friends who lived in the country and asked if we could keep a cow at their place (luckily we couldn’t keep one at our house). I went with him to the local stockyard and we picked out a nice little brown cow. It was love at first moooo! I named him Wilbur before he had even left the auction ring. Over the next few months, I went with dad every night to feed and walk Wilbur (he soon became known as Wilbur Doodle). This was the greatest thing ever! I was actually walking a cow and that cow would also come every time I called his name. Who needed a dog??? Well, Wilbur grew at a very alarming rate which was sad to me but Dad was quite tickled about it. Am I gullible or what?? This was not my pet cow, this was dinner for the approaching winter. I THINK NOT!!


Part 2 Tomorrow

7 comments:

Pat Jenkins said...

ohh this post gets me thinking of all those kids who raise their animals, then show and sell them at the fair. a few tears flow from their eyes when they say good bye!!.... p.s. what is this around here animal week? i guess you write about what you know best!

Karen said...

Pat, animals are what I know best.... I'm married to one! LOL

Jen said...

If it weren't for the chickens and cow, you wouldn't get that BBQ'd stuff you so dearly love.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I would eventually turn into a vegatarian. Really. I love eating meat, but I get so attatched to living creatures. Well, not these cats, but I don't think they would taste very good. too chewy.

Grandma J said...

I love eating meat but hate the thought of eating animals.

How much to lay on that couch and talk this out?

Frasypoo said...

I like to believe meat comes from the grocery store !

Mrs P,Forgive me !I am off on a 2 week jaunt and will definitely get around to regular blogging!

ric said...

情趣,情趣用品,情趣,美女交友,玩美女人,美女,美女寫真,美女遊戲,hi5,hilive,hi5 tv,a383,微風論壇,微風,伊莉,伊莉討論區,伊莉論壇,sogo論壇,台灣論壇,plus論壇,plus,痴漢論壇,維克斯論壇,情色論壇,性愛,性感影片,校園正妹牆,正妹,AV,AV女優,SEX,走光,a片,a片免費看,A漫,h漫,成人漫畫,免費A片,色情網站,色情遊戲,情色文學,麗的色遊戲,色情,色情影片,同志色教館,色色網,色遊戲,自拍,本土自拍,kk俱樂部,後宮電影院,後宮電影,85cc免費影城,85cc免費影片,免費影片,免費小遊戲,免費遊戲,小遊戲,遊戲,好玩遊戲,好玩遊戲區,A片,情趣用品,遊戲區,史萊姆好玩遊戲,史萊姆,遊戲基地,線上遊戲,色情遊戲,遊戲口袋,我的遊戲口袋,小遊戲區,手機遊戲,貼圖