Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Piatt Castles

You guys didn't know you were among royalty did ya? My maiden name is Piatt and the castles below were created by my ancestors in Logan County Ohio.
I have lots of good memories that tie into these castles. When we were growing up, my mother, grandmother Piatt, my brother and myself would go up to the castles and visit with our relatives quite frequently. Jimmy (my brother) and I were allowed to roam the castles as long as we didn't touch anything. We never roamed too far though because we were afraid that the ghosts of our ancestors past would get us! After having lunch and finishing up with our visits, we would go to the Piatt Cemetery and mom and grandma would clean up some of the sites while Jimmy and I roamed around (again, never too far because we were sure it was haunted as well).
My dad and his brother would go up there to hunt and I was always welcome to tag along. I didn't necessarily appreciate the hunting so I would stay at the castles with "Uncle Bill" and he would feed me lunch and tell me lots of stories about the castles. Sometimes on our way up, dad and Uncle Don would talk about how they would spend the night there and sleep in the attic (the castles are considered a museum and have tours that go through so the rooms couldn't be messed with). They would tell how they would be woke up by rats running across them and about the resident "ghosts" that resided there and the antics they would pull. I loved hearing all the stories that were told.
Through an unfortunate series of events, the castles fell into the hands of "non-Piatts". My uncle had remarried and upon his passing, the "new wife" and her children took over. I can remember going up there afterward with Grandma and they actually told her she had to pay to enter the castles and they treated her as a tourist. This woman was a PIATT, who did they think they were talking to. I watched her heart break right before my eyes. I was so incredibly angry. To this day, I have never went back. I would love to take MacKenzie there so that she could "experience the castles" and learn of her ancestry but I know I'd never be able to allow her to explore them the way that I was allowed to. I'm still very proud of who I am and where I came from and no matter what they choose to do with the castles, I'll never forget what really went on inside those walls.
Mac-A-Cheek
Mac-O-Chee

15 comments:

Pat Jenkins said...

good post karen, but i find it extremely hard to believe you have ANY royal blood in ya....he he!

Jen said...

Karen this is very interesting! I bet that was a lot of fun going there as a kid. Too bad the story ends the way it did. But I would bite the bullet and take your daughter anyway, and bring your memories to life for her. Who knows she may meet her knight in shining armour there. :)

Busy Bee Suz said...

What a wonderful part of your family history that you have...I bet those are just great memories from your childhood.
I can't believe your uncle would marry someone so mean....I feel for your Grandma and the rest of the Piatts. You never know...Karma, it could come back to the family one day????

Grandma J said...

You have a fantastic and interesting heritage. Maybe you should take MacKenzie anyway so she learns about the castles from you and not as a tourist later on.

namaste said...

very cool stuff here, karen. sad to see what happened when the "new wife" came along.

Cassie said...

Interesting history. Sad about the greedy non-Piatt who broke your grandma's heart. In England there are estates that have been in the same families name for 500 years or more. For some reason we've lost that sort of tradition. That's sad too.

Anonymous said...

I happened upon this while looking up some piatt history. I'm an interpreter at the Piatt Castles and while i personaly am not a Piatt i can definitly say that the castles are still run and owned by a blood decendant of the original man that built and lived in Mac-A-Cheek, Abram Piatt. To be fair, for the first half of the 1900's Mac-O-Chee was owned by "non-Piatts" however, in the middle of the 1900's Bill Piatt bought that castle as well. Currently, Margret Piatt, the blood relative i spoke of earlier, owns both castles. Margret is "Uncle Bill"'s biological daughter. When it comes to having to pay for admission, i believe the policy is that family members need only call beforehand to get in free; they also receive a "Piatt packet" that gives more information about the piatts and helps to connect the visiting Piatts to their ancestors. My family has been friends, students, teachers, and workers for the Piatts for about 50 years and we are truly puzzled by the claims you have made.

Anonymous said...

It would be well worth the small price you would have to pay to share the memories of these beautiful castles. I drive by them every day.

Anonymous said...

My maiden name is Piatt, but I grew up in southwestern PA. Not sure if we are related but would love to find out. My grandfather's name was James Piatt, we lived in the town of Avella, Pa. I know of 2 brothers my grandfather had Bo and Curtis Piatt, and one sister Estelle Piatt. The are all deceased though. Would love of you can come up with a connection.... My name is Barbara Ann Mendez (Piatt) and you can contact me via email at mndz213@gmail.com. loved your website.

Karinne said...

Okay my name is Karinne Piatt, and i have been wondering whether I'm related to the people of the Piatt castle? Is there any way to find out or ask around because i have family in ohio also. Does anyone know what i could do?

Anonymous said...

Interesting !!!I just happened to find this site and am reading it for a first time. I KNOW for a fact that Mac-A-Cheek has always been in Piatt hands and a Piatt member has always lived there. Abram Piatt, to his son William McCoy Piatt, to his daughters, Juliet Bertha Piatt and Marguerite Piatt, to their nephew, William (and Fran) Piatt, to the present, their daughter, Margaret. Perhaps some mis-information has gotten in the middle.

Anonymous said...

Puzzles me !!! I knew Karen's grandmother and know for a fact that she was always on very friendly terms with William and Fran Piatt. She never paid to go there to visit them. AND I might add, William and Fran came to Springfield to visit her. William was not remarried. Fran was his wife until he passed away.
Some facts, as Karen knows them, are not correct. Sad that someone gave her some wrong information.

Anonymous said...

This post has a lot of incorrect info. Mac-A-Cheek has NEVER been out of the family that has been direct descendants of the builder. The family still owns it. This is some strange fantasy by someone who is either very confused or very malicious. This is very easy to look up and verify.

Karen Dulaney said...

My Name is Karen too, and my mother and her mother were Piatts. I can't wait to visit the Piatt Castle and I am going to call ahead and try and get in and get the packet that was mentioned.
Thanks for the info....

Anonymous said...

My mom is Gladys Jane PIATT, also family. We went there when I was young. Awesome place.
Kimberly Vitale oregon