Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Life and Love


Ok, you all know how I feel about my Abbie. This is the absolute best dog I have ever had. I adore her personality. She couldn't be a better fit in our family. With that being said, I watched Marley and Me last weekend (I had also read the book when it first came out). I knew what I was getting myself into and was told that for the last 40 minutes I would cry like a baby! Well that is somewhat correct, I only cried for the last 30 minutes. A friend of mine (who is a major dog lover) refuses to watch the show because of what happens in the end. I don't understand her thinking on this. Yes it's sad, but it also shows how a young pup came into a couples life, turned it upside down, made them question whether or not they even wanted to keep him, decided to keep him, suffered the consequences, watched him became the best friend of the couples 3 young children (all the while I might add, getting into the trash), and showed the couple what unconditional love really was. This dog had a great LONG life. He wasn't taken down in his prime, he wasn't abused, he was loved and he loved back. Yes, the ending was sad, but eventually we all die. The lesson is not in the dying, but it is how much love we give while we are here!

9 comments:

Pat Jenkins said...

you know i am not the biggest dog fan, but marley showed how endearing and lasting something, or someone can be, when they give themselves up or over to others. mankind can learn a little about the concept of man's best friend!

74WIXYgrad said...

Did you cry at the end of Old Yeller too?

Karen said...

Pat, it just goes to show that love can be taught in many different ways by many different things.

Wixy, I know I had watched Old Yeller when I was young, but recently I had rented it from the library again and yes, I did cry!

Jen said...

I cried too. :(
I thought the movie was okay. But after reading your review, I would watch it again. Good job!!

Busy Bee Suz said...

Good review Karen. I cry at commercials. Really, it takes NOTHING for tears to drop...I have always been this way. I cried through the 2nd half of this book. I loved it, but I had puffy eyes for days. I am avoiding the movie for now...cause I know what will happen. My Dogs are fairly young, and already I am dreading the day they are gone..still sad about my GOOD cat Junior who we had to put to sleep 10 years ago. Yeah, I have issues. ;0

namaste said...

nice review, karen. i saw this movie a couple of weeks ago. it didn't make me cry, but it was very good.

;)

Lutra said...

Ops! don't know about that movie! But if all of you think that is a good one, I will keep an eye on it!

Cassie said...

This was a good review Karen.The only good thing about getting older is that I can read the same book or watch the same movie over and over again & I never remember any of the details so it's good all over again! No kidding. I guess I'll have to see the movie again. I can't remember if I cried.

Grandma J said...

I'm afraid I would cry like a banshee. I've been through an 18 year relationship with a dog and the fact that I was the one who decided it was "his time" is something I may never get over.

Now, please pass me some tissues.