Monday, April 20, 2009

A Great Visit!


Over the weekend Pat and I had the opportunity to visit a horse farm. I'd gotten to know Karen, who owns it, through my place of employment. Our original intent was to go out and pick up some manure (yes I said manure) for our garden. Karen boards and gives riding lessons for these fine animals. She has a wonderful set-up out at her place. There is an outdoor arena as well as an indoor arena. She has over 145 acres of land with riding trails that wind throughout her wooded property. It was magnificent. I'll tell ya, that woman works her rear end off. There is so much that has to be done in taking care of not only the facility but all the horses as well. Right now she has about 20 or so horses. They are fed and watered in the AM, let out into the different pastures (each walked out one at a time), all the stalls are cleaned and new bedding put down, then they are brought back in for the evening and fed and watered again. On top of this, she gives riding lessons mid-morning through late afternoon. Karen was kind enough to allow us to wonder about the stables and look around all we wanted. It was so much fun. There were a lot of pictures taken (pics on my side bar) and a lot of questions asked. Karen also offered to give me a free riding lesson and of course I'm going to take her up on that one. They took me out and introduced me to the horse I would be riding, her name is Butterscotch and she seemed so gentle and sweet. It'll kind of be a double-edged sword though, I'll love every minute of it, but I'll also want a horse of my own (having a ranch has been a dream of mine for quite some time). I'll be sure to have Pat video my lesson for a future blog because I'm sure they'll be plenty to laugh about!! Needless to say, I'm quite excited and can't wait!


This is Butterscotch!

10 comments:

Pat Jenkins said...

you forgot to mention butterscotch is a quarter horse. do you think you could handle it if all of a sudden butterscotch is spooked (by me!!) and takes off like a bandit?....

74WIXYgrad said...

Well, a horse is a horse, of course, of course.

Busy Bee Suz said...

Great pictures Karen!! A riding lesson will be quite an adventure. I love horses too...from a distance. Once I get right up to them, they are just huge and scary!!!
A lot of people around us have horses and my girls USED to ask for us to have them too....I would always tell them how much work it entails and then what do you do with them when a hurricane comes? Well, they think you can bring them into the house to protect them!!!

Karen said...

Pat, you wouldn't, would you?

Wixy, you are a funny man!

Suz, what do you do with one in a hurricane? I wouldn't have that problem here - only a tornado or two!

Susannah said...

Karen, you do have a lovely mix of topics here!!

Karen said...

Susannah, thanks for stopping by. I try to mix it up to keep it interesting.

Jen said...

Karen I thought you had enough of that 'manure' at home?

Grandma J said...

Butterscotch is beautiful. I wish I could ride a horse without them trying to eat my shoes. I can't wait for your video.

namaste said...

wow. those horses look well-groomed and taken care of. beautiful. it's been years since i rode one. lucky you!

Karen said...

Jen, I tried to get Pat to wear some chaps with a big ole' cowboy hat while shoveling the manure but he would have nothing to do with it. I was thiking it would make a great blog pic!!!

Grandma J - If and when the video is made, I guarantee there will be lots to laugh at!

Maria, I am so excited!!!