Tuesday, April 7, 2009

An Easter Memory!


I thought I’d share an Easter memory with you. Every year, my brother and I would wake up at the crack of dawn and run out into the kitchen to see if the Easter Bunny had come. Sure enough, the table was full of our baskets (back then we each had 2) and a big spread in the middle for mom and dad. But also, every year without fail, there would be a big cardboard box with a light shining down into it. What was in the box you’re wondering….. Baby DUCKIES!! Yes, every year my mother felt the need to buy us baby DUCKIES! Yes, they were cute, yes, they were fun, yes, THEY DID STINK and who had to clean the box with the DUCKIES in them, that would be me and my brother. Of course, Jimmy (my brother) would somehow manage to weasel his way out of it and I would be stuck with give the little DUCKIES a nice sweet smelling home. OK, after about the 3rd year, I’d had enough.


What did we do with they DUCKIES you’re wondering to yourself, well after rearing these darling little DUCKIES for about a month, Mom would take us to the park to let our wee little DUCKIES go live with the rest of the wee little DUCKIES that all the other children got for Easter. Now this is just cruel, first I get the DUCKIE, then I bond with the DUCKIE, I clean and care for the DUCKIE then I have to let my little DUCKIE be set free and I’m traumatized. What was that woman thinking?

And NO, I have never bought my children a DUCKIE for Easter.

5 comments:

Pat Jenkins said...

you remind me of an ugly duckling!... but it still is a great easter story!!

Karen said...

Can I take you to the park and set you FREE!!!!!

Busy Bee Suz said...

Yes, what was your Mom thinking??? :) Funny story Karen!!!

Jen said...

You quack me up!
Hmmm did I reallly say that?

Karen said...

All I've got to say to you Jen is...... BOOOOOOO! I did chuckle though.

Suz, the only thing I can figure is she had a sadistic sense of humor.