Thursday, March 12, 2009

Innocence In Murder?


This will probably be a touchy subject. How do you guys feel about the recent stories where children are murdering members of their family. Is an 8 year old capable of uderstanding the finality of death? Do they truly realize that "daddy" won't be back tomorrow? Yes, they committed the act, yes, they knew how to load the gun and pull the trigger, but in most cases, who taught them to do it anyway and why on earth would any parent want to teach an 8 year old how to load and fire a gun. I'm not saying that it justifies the action but come on. My granddaughter is 8 and I can guarantee you she does not understand that if she were to "shoot" mommy today because she was being punished for something, "mommy" would not be back tomorrow. She knows that when people die they go to heaven, but to her, heaven is just another place to live, no different than living in another house on another street. I don't know how I feel on this issue, the act in itself is horrendous and then to lose a loved one even escalates it more. Kenzie done a report of whether an "adolescent" should be tried as an adult for such a crime but in all the language she read it never mentioned just what age an "adolescent" was. According to Webster's, the definition of adolescense is: the time of life between puberty and maturity. Hmmmm that covers a lot of ground huh? Now, the definition of child is: a boy or girl before puberty. I'm sorry, has an 8 year old gone through puberty yet? Therefore, he is still a child and needs to be treated as such. You cannot try him as an adult, yes he shot someone, but he does not think as an adult does. Yes, he committed the act of an adult, but he was taught to do it by an adult. UGGGG! This is a really frustrating issue for me. Care to comment???

8 comments:

Lutra said...

Interesting...

Leaving for now the lack of parental education that involves that a 8 years old kid has the oportunity to take, load and use a gun inside his/her own house, I think that the kid knows perfectly what he/she is doing (it is not the same than if a baby shoots by accident a gun against his father just because he grabbed it and play with it; is it?).
So the 8 years old kid is plenty conscious that he/she is shooting another person, and that that action will probably kill it. I am agree that maybe such a young person won't notice the consequences of his acts until some days/weeks has passed, but this happens too with adult people, not?
People that being blinded by anger, or by gelous, or just not very adult ("I just though that I could drive safely to home, even drunk... I didn't want to have a crash accident").
There is such a difference between the kid that knows how to load/shoot a gun but can not imagine what kill a person means and the 23 years old young that knows that driving drunk is dangerous but can not think about the really consequences of a car accident?

Er,,, sorry, my english is not very well, I am just aspleep and can not think clearly yet :p

Pat Jenkins said...

let me muddy the waters more.


webster's definition of murder: the unlawful and MALICIOUS or PREMDITATED killing of a person.


if that definition of murder is used in a court of law, how can we not try a child as an adult?

Karen said...

hmmmmm...... thinking on the above!!

Busy Bee Suz said...

I don't know what to say about this subject except that it is really sad.
I just can't fathom either of my girls even thinking of something like that....
I really have to place blame with the parents. A normal upbringing of children will not have this outcome. right?

namaste said...

tough topic indeed. i agree with lutra and pat. besides, what happens to the 8 year old who does not feel the consequences of their actions? a monster in the making, i'd say.

Frasypoo said...

Its a toughie...
I would say try them as adults and then get counselling.Sometimes they are tried as children and records are wiped clean and then they go back and do it again
Its the conditioning of the mind and maybe a psychiatrist may help

PS:It would be fun to run near you guys.I always thought I would go for the Honda Homecoming but I hear the Honda factory is closed and the shows have been cancelled otherwise we would have stopped by to say hello!

Karen said...

I appreciate all your input. I'm still very torn on this one. I guess I just keep picturing my granddaughter being held accountable for something of this nature and it just sickens me.

Jen said...

This is something I have a hard time making a decision on. I tend to lean toward treating it more on an adult level. I think there are 8 year olds capable of understanding the results of such actions. Thorough evaluations are needed and it may be a situation where it needs to be handled on a case by case situation. ?
I would have a very difficult time trusting an 8 year old after they did this, I do know that.