Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Amish Ways

I recently watched the movie - The Devil's Playground, which was about the Amish teenagers going through rumspringa. I was astounded at how so many of the Amish teenagers turn to cigarettes, alcohol and drugs. I mean it's one thing to experience the English world but it's another to turn to all the evils of the world. You would think that would be the last thing they would want to mess around with. I can understand going to the movies, riding in a car, using a computer, things like that, but I would've never thought they'd turn to substances that would take the purity from their bodies. I was actually afraid some of them would die from alcohol poisoning or an overdose. There are many things the Amish do that raise eyebrows, but this right of passage makes no sense to me. Over the past year I have read several books written by Wanda Brunstetter and Beverly Lewis that are Amish themed (which I wholeheartedly recommend). The simplicity of their lives is very captivating to me however I know it would be no cake walk. I like my modern conveniences but at the same time, wouldn't it be wonderful to get up in the morning and know that the work you have ahead in your day will be spent at home taking care of those you love.
Awwww, that just warms my heart!

QUOTE OF THE DAY: You cannot believe in God until you believe in yourself.

9 comments:

74WIXYgrad said...

My wife enjoys those books also. We live close enough to Amish country to see examples of the Amish life style. The biggest problem I have seen has been the exhaust of their mode of transportation.

Karen said...

U R A Funny Man Wixy!!

Jen said...

I never heard about any of this. Wow, where are parents when this is going on?
I guess it's not surprising tho, since they are human too.

Pat Jenkins said...

huh that is a good question karen, as to why the amish indulge in "eloxirs" instead of material!... but with any family amish or not, a loving enviroment produces kids who are high on life instead of drugs!

Karen said...

Jen, in the movie, some the parties were held out in the parents fields. These parties are attended by several hundreds of kids. The parents turn the other way because this is part of their walk as to see if they are ready to join "the church". You should rent the movie - our local library had it. It is very interesting to say the least.

Pat, I guess that explains why our daughter is delierously happy all the time huh!!

Busy Bee Suz said...

I have always been very interested in learning about the Amish. One one hand their way of life seems so great, so uncomplicated. On the other...it seems like a heck of a lot of work, and not much fun.
The movie sounds good...I suppose it is on DVD?
I will go check it out.

Robin said...

Sometimes it would just be nice to go back to simpler life style. My grandparents were'nt amish but I still remember them in the early 60's instead of getting the car out of the garage they just rode a horse and buggy to our house and still farmed with Clydesdale horses

Cassie said...

Where we live up in Idaho,up in NW Montana and the Panhandle of Idaho we have a few Amish communities. One group in Montana is of the old school (like in the PA Dutch area of PA) and the one in Libby, Montana are not the strict Amish. I guess the ones in Eureka look down on the Libby group, because they use cell phones and drive trucks. They still dress in the Amish fashion & speak their own dialect of German, but are much more modern.We bought our log cabin from the Libby group: Meadowlark Log Homes. The local Amish raised it for us in ID.There was a nightline piece last summer on Rumspringa. Quite interesting.

Frasypoo said...

I would say that its something to do with living with restrictions all their lives and then BOOM!when they can some of them do everything thats wrong